5 ways to increase your breastmilk supply?
Not having enough breastmilk is a very real concern for new mothers + if you're having difficulty establishing a plentiful milk supply for your baby there is hope - let me share with you 5 simple tips to increasing your milk supply. But first, how do you know if your supply is low? This is a complex question to answer on the world wide web, instead lets look at how you know your baby is getting enough milk at the breast.
- Your newborn baby is feeding frequently, somewhere between 8-12 times in 24 hours
- You can see + hear your baby swallowing at the breast
- Your baby is having good weight gain each week, roughly expected at 150-250g a week + to double birth weight by about 4 months old
- Your baby is having lots of wet + dirty nappies, approximately 2-4 wet + 2-4 dirty nappies a day is considered normal
- If you have a content baby then you can be reassured by that characteristic
What we know is that breastfeeding is largely founded on supply + demand, the more your baby feeds, the more breastmilk you will make. There are numerous factors that can diminish supply - positioning is usually the main culprit but stress, anatomy, supplemental feeds, scheduling feeds + a deterioration in mental health are other causes. If you're finding you have a low supply here are some tips to help increase it;
- Frequent feeding - aim for at least 3 hourly
- Switch nursing - this is when you alternate multiple times during a feed
- Power pumping - a technique where you pump after a feed for set times
- Galactagogues -foods or ingredients used to boost supply, our bars!
- Medication - prescribed by a GP to increase your supply
Lila Jasmine lactation bars were made by me [Ren - a Nurse, Midwife + Mum] for you, to support optimal breast milk productions while breastfeeding. Specially formulated with ingredients traditionally used for their galactagogue properties - steel cut oats, brewers yeast + chia seeds are the hero building blocks here. Individually wrapped for your convenience so you can eat at home or on-the-go.
- Encourages optimal breast milk supply
- 96% of our customers give them a 5-star rating
- 1 bar every other day is often enough
- Individually wrapped for your convenience
- Made from start to finish right here in New Zealand
Click HERE to shop now!
Image by Tash Stokes of Black Robin Photography