We've just done two weeks of lockdown. Well done New Zealand. I am a VERY proud Kiwi. I haven't had the call up to work some midwifery hours just yet but I will go when they need me. New & expectant mothers are very much at the forefront of my thoughts right now. To help alleviate some anxiety here are five Instagram accounts I recommend you follow while we are at home saving lives!
- Morgan Edwards is a lead obstetric anaesthetist whose fire you will feel as follow along. She's committed to women's health & daily she shares pertinent information relative to COVID. I can see she is tired as she relentlessly battles but I'm grateful
- The Baby Bag are an essential service who are safely shipping your necessities to your home. This services allows you to stay safe, stay home & save lives. And by utilising this service you are supporting a small family-run business. PS. They're the only stockist of our lactation bars but have unfortunately sold out. The do however have other options
- Heather Johnston is a GP who has previously worked in obstetrics & gynaecology. I admire her juggle of small children, medicine & supporting her husband, also a doctor. It gets better, she is also a lactation consultant. Like Morgan she is tirelessly working to spread information to women regarding COVID by graciously answering questions daily & providing comic relief & cute kid snaps
- The Motherness Podcast established by Skye a customer of hours who has constructed a beautiful podcast shining light on the realness of life postpartum - the part I think we overlook as new mothers. Tune in!
- Hatched Antenatal is an online antenatal classes created by Carmen, a fellow midwife. These could not be needed more than now. Midwifery looks very different right now & the care you receive while we fight this has needed to be adjusted. This is a brilliant bridge resource for you while you stay home to save lives
Here's one more for good measure;
- Birth by Rosie is brand spanking new account. Rosie, a midwife is committed to bringing you information that will enhance your pregnancy & newborn experience. She's much younger & hipper than I am & could not have popped up at a better time. She's sharing fantastic information with you. Enjoy!
Illustration by Graphic Designer GUADY